Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What a Dilemma

Dilemma -- a situation requiring a choice between equally undesirable alternatives.

What is the situation?

I need to run more. Not because I want to, because I would become a more efficient runner (faster). I can't run because it is...well...kinda bad for my degenerative L4/L5 discs. So I do what I have to do to get by. I am getting faster by the way...Go Kettlebells!

Today was the semi annual PFT, I improved my run time by 10 sec. and I could have been faster but I felt physically (sick) off and had to slow down for 1/2 mile or so. I have maintained my other events for the entire year. I am just status quo. Not for long, I will improve.

The aftermath of the run is pain and fatigue. I should not be this tired! My back isn't killing me...Yet but there is potential. Why? Because the ankle I tore apart a few years ago is killing me for the first time in more than 3 years. This is NOT good. I feel some soft tissue damage and it is swollen.

What will I do? Yes, I have a plan. UM, kinda.
  1. Lots of water
  2. Sleep. I plan to sleep on it and see how it feels in the morning.
  3. Z. Please correct me if I'm wrong but how about some ankle circles, toe pulls and ankle tilts. Of course it could be something with the wrist, so how about wrist glides/circles and some hand figure 8s? Or, I could just do everything!
  4. Rinse and repeat.
PFT
3 mile run: Down to 24:00 (I was in the 27s pushing 28:00 just a few years ago)
Pull ups - max: Slipped to 14. (Time to work these again. It was already in the plan)
Crunches - Max: 100 (yea, Hanging leg raises, evil wheel, and swings/snatches)

Not stellar but I will take it. I keep improving on the run and I can live with that. It's time to put the pieces together. Of course it is just an indicator of fitness not the end all. I do have other goals I'm working. Next week I will officially begin my quest for a turkey day weekend SSST or during the Tidewater Kettlebell Club fun time in early December.

No comments: