Sunday, April 19, 2009

Tour de Cure

Saturday I completed the 100 mile Tour de Cure to raise money for diabetes research. I will post a full write up on the Tidewater Randonneur blog later.

In the mean time, I have some lessons learned. I normally post these here not to distract from a good story about a wonderful day on the bicycle.

Stats:
Avg Speed - 17.4 mph
time: 5.22 (stopped too long with team) They lolly gag.

It was a good hard effort for most of the day. I ran into trouble around 70 miles. Legs cramping? I guess that is that feeling of cold pain down to the bone.

Food/water intake:
I'm getting dialed in the food. Need to bring 1 efs bar for every 2 hrs. I needed 1 more yesterday.
Water -- need to drink more on the ride especially on a warm day. hmmm. We were riding brisk enough that I forgot to intake. NO excuse.
electrolytes -- A v8 or something would have been gold at the 65 mile stop. Powerade isn't for me. Not sure I need any pill form stuff but I will toss some in my bag for next weekends ride.

Vitamin - M - (NSAID) I could have benefited from a dose at the same 65 mile point. Probably not the healthiest thing but feeling good is a good thing.

Pain during ride - other than some leg muscle pain - NONE. That's what I'm talking about. I did do Z - ankle, wrist, hip and Tspine stuff at the 1/2 way point.

No comments: