Wednesday, October 21, 2009

NO Hammies

Wow, today's VWC session was not very pleasant. But I'm progressing perfectly.

My hammies weren't firing. As a result, I'm pulling the kettlebell up using lats and the WRONG leg muscles. The body compensates and will complete the mission. This isn't always the best thing. I reckon if it's a competition or a battle, the cost or ROI is worth it.

Training requires strict adherence to perfect form and how your body feels. Both should be taken into consideration. I probably could have stopped at any time but I didn't. I had a mission today and I'm training for an event in about 6 weeks. The truth is I should have chosen a different program today. I could have done a complex or some active recovery giving me the opprotunity to recuperate from Monday's festivities. I didn't, I sucked it up and completed the workout, then ran all without hammies. I'll recover and be fine in a couple days by doing plenty of mobility work.

Sara wrote a good post about kettlebell brands. I have used many different brands and prefer DD. I have used the Lifeline and they work. Here's my opinion. I don't like the smoothness of the handles. I have/had some DD Russian Red kettlebells and I don't use them (I keep them for clients). While I'm not a huge fan of ripping my hands up on coarse kettlebell handles, I appreciate the grip they seem to give.

Perhaps it is the added surface area; think nerve endings. Truthfully, when I'm sweating and it is humid, I feel more secure with the coarse handle; especially when a large mass is overhead. Bear in mind, the course handles wear down and become smoother with use! The hundreds of thousands of reps I've done with my first couple kettlebells have a custom feel. I still prefer to use them more than others. You can tell I don't use my 40k very often, it bites!

NOTE:
I worked with a gentleman for a few weeks that was preparing for his first MMA fight. He is a great athlete and wanted to kick things up a notch. So that's what we did. I probably didn't contribute too much to his fitness but maybe I did. Regardless, it was fun to work with a true professional! He wrote this update:
Just wanted to give you a quick update and a THANK YOU. I won my fight last night with the ref stopping the bout in the second round due to strikes (I took full mount and was punishing him pretty good; by my count, I threw 8-10 punches, with 4-5 getting through clean) before ref pulled me off him.
This is motivating! Great Job Scott -- Semper Fi!

Practice:
ZNWU
VWC x 46 sets
croc. breathing (must relax back)
Run @ track - 4 x 100, 4 x 200, 2 x 100, 1 x 400, 1 x 200, 1 x 400, walked the same distance between sets. It is all about form and cadence.

Tonight -- ASLR, Bretzel, Ankle mobility, croc. breathing

No comments: